Saturday, August 12, 2006

Lemon Garlic Chicken Kebabs with Roasted Vegetables

I love GAHLIC !! I have a tendency to almost double the amount of garlic in everything I make ..correction- everything other than 'chicken with forty cloves of garlic' - that I don't want to mess with. Garlic doesn't leave your breath smelling like roses - but the way I think about it - that can be fixed with some mint! In addition to the various health benefits that garlic has to offer ranging from mitigating and resisting the common flu to some cancers, it is the centerpiece of my repertoire. Chopped garlic sauteed in olive oil is the first step to a delicious meal. The base for sauces, marinades and dresssings, this is something I inadvertently always always have in my kitchen.

 

A recent episode of Alton Brown's 'Good Eats' focused on Garlic, and confirmed what my Grandmom had told me years ago - that the smaller clove of garlic had much more flavour than the larger, easier to peel version, and that the elephant garlic or the XL ones that you find in the grocery store is not really garlic but a kind of leek !! I'd be stumped if I had to cook for someone who was allergic to Garlic - I'll have to search for recipes that didn't include this miracle bulb!

For a simple meal, I marinated chicken that was cut to bite-sized pieces in olive oil, chopped garlic, lemon juice and salt for at least half an hour. Roasted vegetables, I think have a greater complexity of taste than ones that are boiled or even sauteed, I'd like to roast vegetables more often except that I don't often like to deal with a hot kitchen in the summer. Eggplant and Bell pepper cut in long strips and tossed with olive oil and seasoned with salt and pepper went into a oven at 350 F for 45 minutes.

After the chicken is marinated, thread it onto the skewers alternating with juicy strawberry tomatoes. To avoid the wooden skewers from burning on the grill - soak them in water. Place the skewered kebabs on a hot grill and turn occasionally till the chicken is tender and opaque all the way. Transfer the skewers onto a bed of roasted vegetables and serve immediately.

2 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

these look good and easy!

1:36 PM, August 13, 2006  
Blogger Foodie's Hope said...

Now you are talking!! Great looking recipe . I could use some right now!! Thanks :)

5:39 PM, August 26, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home