Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Cherry Crumb Pie



Cherries are in abundance right now, the supermarket shelves are overflowing with perfect little cherries - beautiful, deep red and sinfully sweet. I couldn't resist picking them up, hoping to turn them into a perfect summer dessert. Late sunday afternoon, sitting with a big bowlful of cherries in front me, recipes circling in my head - I decided upon Cherry Pie, that would surely be hard to mess up !



Now, prepping cherries is fun if you have the time and patience for it. The lack of a cherry pitter made my task more time consuming than necessary, but tasty ;) nonetheless.

Wearing a T-shirt that wouldn't get ruined by the red juices, I sat down with a paring knife, and one-by-one pitted the cherries - like you would an avocado, by running the knife around the cherry, twisting the two halves in opposite directions and then removing the pit - in the end, I had a bunch of cherry halves with me. The ones that made it, without me snacking on them, went on to become yummy pie filling.



For the homemade pie-filling - I used four cups of cherry halves and half a cup of water and heated this in a saucepan and added 1/2 cup sugar(depending on how sweet the cherries are) and 2 teaspoons of Corn Flour. Stirring occassionally, I watched as the cherries started to soften and mixture bubbled and thickened and then added 1/2 tsp. of lemon zest for that something extra !



I used a store-bought pie crust - just used a fork and pressed gently against the soft pastry, and then added the pie filling. For the crumb topping, I mixed half cup flour, 1 egg, 1/4 cup nuts, 1/4 cup flaked coconut and 1/4 cup sugar and 1/4 cup butter ( This is an estimate, as I just threw some stuff in that I thought would work, to make it into a sticky topping) and then topped the pie filling with this.

 

Bake the pie for around 30-35 minutes in a preheated oven at 350 F till the crumb topping has turned golden brown. My pie bubbled over the crust, but tasted sensational, much more the next day after all the flavours married.  

5 Comments:

Blogger Vineela said...

Hi Monisha,
Yummy Rainbow cake and cherry pie looks good.
Vineela

4:55 PM, July 26, 2006  
Blogger Nandita said...

That does look sensationally beautiful Monisha. I'm glad I stumbled onto your blog-and I'll be here often...You do some seriously good icing I must say :)

11:56 PM, August 16, 2006  
Anonymous Trupti said...

Looks awesome....would be great paired with a cup of some strong Colombian coffee!

Cheers,Trupti

1:56 PM, September 27, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some good posts and comments on here, glad I found it. I'm laying down a bookmark so I can come back later, I gotta go off to work now. My new site if anyone's interested (I don't really like it yet but I'm working on it and am new at it) --- candle

6:29 AM, December 15, 2006  
Blogger Fangyaya said...

nike air max
ray bans
coach factory outlet
toms outlet
true religion
beats headphones
michael kors outlet
michael kors outlet
hermes outlet
polo ralph lauren
air jordan retro
fitflops sale clearance
longchamp handbags
cheap jordan shoes
ghd flat iron
jordans
toms
louis vuitton outlet
louis vuitton handbags
louis vuitton outlet
hermes birkin handbags
christian louboutin shoes
ralph lauren
giuseppe zanotti sneakers
tiffany outlet
gucci outlet
jordan 8
kate spade handbags
jordan shoes
louis vuitton handbags
michael kors outlet
nike roshe flyknit
celine bags
jordans
gucci outlet
christian louboutin sale
cheap jordan shoes
longchamp outlet
louis vuitton handbags
michael kors handbags
20167.22chenjinyan

4:25 AM, July 22, 2016  

Post a Comment

<< Home